· Are or have ever been a member of an agency or organization promoting UNCW Athletics Program;
· Have ever made a donation to the UNCW Program or to the Seahawk Club;
· Are or have ever been requested by the athletics staff to assist in recruiting prospects;
· Are or have ever assisted in providing benefits to enrolled student-athletes or their families; or
· Are or have ever been involved otherwise in the promotion of the UNCW Athletics Program. (NCAA Bylaw 13.02.13)
As a Representative of Athletics Interests (a.k.a Donor, Booster, etc.) YOU MAY NOT...
· Provide awards to a student-athlete for his or her athletics performance without approval from the UNCW Intercollegiate Athletics Department. All awards must be approved by UNCW;
· Provide an honorarium to a student-athlete for a speaking engagement. Only necessary travel expenses can be given when speaking to educational or charitable groups. All speaking engagements must be approved in advance by the UNCW Intercollegiate Athletics Department;
· Allow a student-athlete, his or her friends or relatives to use your telephone to make free long distance calls;
· Provide use of an automobile;
· Provide them hospitality in your home other than for an occasional meal;
· Invite them to your summer or vacation home to go water skiing, sailing, etc.;
· Offer promise of financial aid for post-graduate education;
· Offer gifts of clothing or equipment;
· Co-sign loans;
· Offer cash or like items;
· Offer any tangible items, including merchandise;
· Provide free or reduced-cost services, rentals or purchases of any type;
· Offer free or reduced-cost housing; or
· Offer use of institutional athletics equipment.
Ways You Can Help
YOU MAY invite a student-athlete to your home for an occasional home meal. Remember, the student-athlete must provide his or her transportation. You may do this a maximum of one time per school term per student-athlete.
YOU MAY invite a team for dinner or to meet with a group of alumni in a city where they are competing. The NCAA permits student-athletes, AS A TEAM, to receive special benefits not permitted as individuals. Arrangements for such events must be made in advance with the head coach or the UNCW Intercollegiate Athletics Department.
YOU MAY meet with and receive autographs from student-athletes during UNCW sponsored pre- season events (e.g., Fan Day). Please be aware it is not permissible for you to sell the autographs or use the autographs to raise money for a special project.